Pilgrimages were banned by Henry VIII and his minister, Thomas Cromwell in 1538. See the Guide Book St Alkelda ’s Way, and on the St Alkelda ’s Way website. Church plate, vessels and valuables were also confiscated by Henry VIII’s agents. In 1570, the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, decreed that Communion chalices, which were shaped like open soup bowls and administered during Mass by the priest, had to be replaced with Communion cups, which were reckoned to be more Biblical and could be handled by the communicant. A medieval chalice from Giggleswick Church was smuggled out by local Roman Catholics and is now in the Undercroft Museum at York Minster. Giggleswick Church however, has a rare Elizabethan Communion cup dated 1585, which is still in use on special occasions. The Elizabethan age proved a time of relative calm in the ancient parish of Giggleswick, though it must have taken time for such a strongly Roman Catholic group of people to get used to worshipping from the Book of Common Prayer and hearing the Word of God, read and preached in English from the chained Bibles that soon appeared in most parish churches.